RoR - Clean MVC

I was looking into Ruby on Rails, to implement the stock trader application using the Web services framework for Ruby.

RoR provides a very clean framework for MVC. The ability to define default layouts and fill them in from within the various views makes life much easy, when it comes to maintenance.

I could apply the default layout form the main controller and be done with it, and focus on business logic. It took me less than two hours to figure all this out. So the framework is quite learnable, which is a very developer friendly feature to have.

I managed to get the WSF/Ruby client working from within the controller, to invoke a service and fill in the view with data. I used the simple echo service to see how it would work, again it took less than an hours to figure out how to put the pieces together. Again good news for developers.

One of the concerns that I have with RoR is the backward incompatible changes that they do between releases. The 2.x family is very different form 1.x family.

Comments