My 2009

It was a fabulous year for me personally.

I set couple of goals for the year, and I did achieve all of those. I might admit, the first time that I manage to do that.

One of the secrets of success was, I kept my goals simple. Just couple of them.
The other was that, I kept focus, and took corrective steps to fix and get them back on course, when those deviated.
Also, success of 2009, was based on hard work done in previous years. So it is kind of a long journey to get here.

Apart from achieving the year's goals (which are personal, hence, I will not note them down here), there also happen to be some notable happenings in life.

Firt of all, the work - life balance. Specially being able to devote some time for the elder son. There were many days where 14-18 hour work day was regular, even towards the end of the year, still I was able to have some time to share a moment with the kid.
I also got to this habit of not going online on weekends. I would check email on Saturday morning and hardly use the internet modem till Monday morning. I would use the laptop, to write, to read, but would rather not go online, where I would get glued to a mail thread on something. This helped a great deal to devote some time to other matters in life, other than work.

I also learned the importance of co-location when it comes to work. Though I thought that I could do most of my work from home being online, it proved to me that I had to be in the office, to talk to people, face to face. So I got to admit that, the mid of the year was slow, as I was mostly working from home. But in order to get back to the same level of productivity, I used to drive back to office every day, even after noon, chase that boosted productivity as well as effectiveness a great deal.

I wrote a second book this year. I am yet to blog about it.

I read a lot this year. The most inspiring being a book on the myths of innovation. I also read a book on how to think better. Though I read many other things, these two are the most note worthy.

Towards the mid of this year, I realized that, the next year, I will celebrate 10 years in industry. And the fact that I am getting old.

And as always, I enjoyed work, specially the fact that I got involved with the BAM product at the grass root level, in addition to being part of many other things that was going on in engineering. I thought getting involved with some client issues as well as the cloud computing effort was fun as well as educating.

I do not just "hope" that 2010 would be a better year, as I "know" 2010 will be one of the best in my life, given that I have set the stage for that in 2009.

Comments